My Travel Map

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Moments of Beauty

It's been tough trying to wrap my mind around what happened with Jill. Life can be so sad sometimes. But since receiving the sad news, there have also been moments of beauty. In fact, the day of Jill's memorial was the same day my sister gave birth to little Ava. I can't tell you how strange it was to be mourning the death of someone and celebrating new life on the same day. Surreal. Very circle of life. Both events make you really stop and think what's really important in life, namely spending time with those we love. Life is so bittersweet sometimes, isn't it? I'm reminded of a line I read in book once. It went something like, "Life would be completely unbearable if it weren't so hilarious." I think I want that to be the title of my autobiography.

So we have a lot of catching up to do, yes? Here's what's been going over the past few weeks. I went to Pismo Beach for the day and took Sam with me. It was his first time at the beach. I think he would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't so windy. His ears were blowing straight back.



I eventually had to pick him up because the sand kept blowing in his face. Here's a picture of him screaming. Aaaaggghhhh!








After the Pismo trip, I got asked to the prom! True story! Okay, it was more like Tammy asked me to help chaperone the prom, but close enough. Oh man, was that fun. Here's me and Kim getting ready for the original prom 10 years ago. Not sure why we're just standing next to a closet door.




Good news is I found my old prom dress and it still fits! And I don't mean it-fits-but-I-gotta-suck-in-my-gut-and-can't-sit-down-all-night. I mean it actually fits! I almost wore it to new prom, but I was informed that no one wears floor length gowns anymore. I didn't want to look like an L7 weenie.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of Tammy and me at 1999 prom, but here we are at 2009 prom:



A few things were different. Tammy is knocked up for one thing. My old teenage insecurities are non-existent. But some things are the same. Like the fact that I grew a big ol' zit on my face! Seriously, skin.

At 1999 prom I had dinner at a nice Japanese restaurant. This year?






At first we were pissed because they assigned us bathroom duty, which meant we had to stand guard by all the dark shadows near the bathrooms to make sure students didn't run off and make babies. Lame!



Eventually we got to go down to the dance floor, which was super fun (even though the kids tried to stay away from us because Tammy was a teacher and I was a teacher friend). We couldn't help but request "Thriller."

The DJ was like, "And now we're gonna take it back to the 80s because someone requested this song."

Me and Tammy were like, "Whoever could have requested such an old song?"

Good times, for sure.



The next day was Mother's Day. I spent it with the fam. Here's me, my mama, and my still-pregnant-at-the-time sister.



I was surprised to find a present from Sam that morning.


Whatever could it be?


My mom was doing a handprint project with her preschoolers for Mother's Day, and she had Sam make one for me. Is that the cutest or what?

Speaking of mothers, my sister finally went into labor on May 15th and we couldn't wait for that little baby to get here.


Yay! Is she here yet?


Auntie Tammy and the Grandmas wait patiently...


Uncle Matt and the Grandpas


Baby Ava is finally here! This is Matt and Steph's first family photo.


Precious.

I've taken about a million photos of Ava already, but I'll try to narrow it down to just a few more.









When I'm not with the human baby, I'm with my little furry baby--taking naps, hiking around, or just playing outside.






Mom and Sam on Lewis Creek Trail.


Lewis Creek


Sam in the car on the way to Yosemite.


Bridal Veil Falls


Aunt Rochelle, Sam, and Dad at Yosemite



And the adventure continues...

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is back and it makes me smile :-) Can't wait to get Belle and Samwise together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks like you have had some special moments while resting in Oakhurst. I like all the pics you posted, however, my favorite pic is the one of Sammy at Pismo with the wind blowing his ears back and his little mouth seems to be crying "pick me up!!!!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are so great. I was grinning the whole time as I was scrolling down.

    ReplyDelete