My Travel Map

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who Knew Bill Nye The Science Guy Could Swing Dance?

My cousin talked me into going swing dancing last night at Glen Echo. Bill Nye the Science Guy was there! Remember him? I don't think he ever left the dance floor. Giggling girls were lined up asking Bill Nye for dances all night. It was hilarious. No pictures though. The one time I leave my camera in the car! But that also means no pictures of me making a complete fool of myself trying to swing dance. This is a good thing.

I had Mike teach me the basics then set him free so he could dance with girls who knew what they were doing. It was hard to be a wallflower in that place! I tried to just stand back and watch, but the guys were relentless. They were there to dance and didn't really care that I was terrible. No, really, I felt like a bull in a china shop. One guy dipped me and I accidentally had him in a choke hold. Don't ask me how.

It was fun though, and I did get better. My favorite guy to dance with was this stocky gay guy who kept praising my every attempt to get the moves right (I'm pretty sure he was gay. His red oversized gingham shirt threw me off, but he was very effeminate and constantly talking about my "gorgeous blue dress.") I kept worrying I was messing up the steps, but he reassured me it was all about confidence.

"Honey," he said, "You're beautiful. You can get away with a lot of things."

I've decided to make this my new morning mantra, complete with the sassy attitude. :-)

In my last blog I said I was running out of steam and I think maybe I was fighting off a cold. I didn't even title my last blog entry. I took one day to just sleep and drink juice and water, hoping to scare the toxins out of my system. I think it worked. My body still feels very tired and I keep waking up with swollen eyelids. What does that mean? Maybe I'm not drinking enough water?

I do have pictures to post, but I gotta get ready for our Oscar party--the party being me, my cousin, his unsuspecting roommate, and their awesome TV. I'm so glad I'm not missing the Oscars! I plan to teach Mike a little more about the movies. The other night we went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and when we left the theater Mike says, "So that was Leonardo DiCaprio, right?" Yes, he was serious.

Tootles!
Nomad Natalie

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos, Nat! Especially the ones of the cemetery. I'm jealous you got to dance with Bill Nye, the Science Guy.

    Looking forward to reading more of your travels.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, who knew Bill Nye could even dance. So funny. Too bad about the camera. Glad you had a great time swing dancing. Definitely one of Michael's favorite fun things to do. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how to swing dance! What do you think jumping up and down in a box to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" or "Duck Tales" is all about? Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Glen Echo! My old neighborhood! Glad it showed you a good time. ;o)

    ReplyDelete