My Travel Map

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Guys and Dolls and Toilet Paper

"I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel." --Buddy the Elf

This quote kept playing in my mind when I went through the Lincoln Tunnel. I didn't walk through it, but I did take a bus from DC (only 28 bucks, plus they give you complimentary bottled water). I can't get over how cold it is here! I'm loving it though. I'm getting used to the subway system and Noel has been a great tour guide. I've been to New York before, so it's been fun to check out the non-touristy areas.

My family and I are big fans of the Guys and Dolls movie with Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra, so yesterday I bought a ticket to see the the show. Prior to the show, Noel and I walked around the village to shop and eat (west village, I think? Do I capitalize the V in "village? I'm not sure). I wanted to go home and change, but we lost track of time. It was a bummer 'cause I felt like I was dressed like Sporty Spice. I wanted to look at least a little bit classy for the musical. I said goodbye to Noel and got off the subway when realized I was still carrying the big bag of toilet paper we just got at the store. I turned around to return it, but the subway doors were already closed. I see Noel through the window and realize she's thinking the same thing. There's nothing to do at this point but shrug and laugh. Then the train takes off.

I pretty much giggled the whole way from the subway station to the theater. I already felt under-dressed. Carrying a bag of toilet paper didn't really help. I had a great seat near the front, but it was in the middle of the row so people had to get up to make room for me and my big bag of toilet paper.

The bag of toilet paper and I really enjoyed the show. Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls played Adelaide. She wasn't too bad. The ADD jazz musician from Sex and the City played Sky Masterson. He was excellent! I'll need to consult my Playbill to remember who played the other roles, but all in all, I had a lovely time. And of course, I'm wishing I lived in a musical. Sigh. Too much talking in life, not enough singing.

More pictures and stories to come...

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I LOVE this story! I love Guys and Dolls, too. And how wonderful that toilet paper rolls, who basically never get the chance to do anything really exciting got to see it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous you got to see Guys and Dolls!

    ReplyDelete